Tuesday, August 26, 2008

No Battles

You know one thing I really appreciate about BLW thus far. No battles. He eats what he wants and leaves what he doesn't. I really think that's the way to go. I know there's people that would disagree and go on about nutrition and this and that. I could see that if I was giving him veggies and ice cream all the time and he chooses to eat only the ice cream. But I'm making healthy choices for our family and he's being exposed to those healthy things. I'm not saying that I've never made a bad choice, because we ordered pizza over the weekend. So, I am human. BUT, overall he's presented with healthy items and he picks and chooses which of them to eat. I feel that it's extremely respectful of him as a person. I mean, I'd be pissed if someone told me I HAD to eat brussel sprouts. I HATE them and I know I'll make up that nutrition in other ways.

As Boo gets older I plan to continue the spirit of BLW. Granted he won't be a baby anymore. But I don't think that once he's two or three or whatever we'll all of a sudden decide now we have to change the way he's presented with food. I grew up under the "clean your plate" mentality. And look where that got me. I'm just in the past year learning how to make healthy choices and prepare healthy meals. I'm proud to say that I now shop the perimeter of the grocery store, which is the "healthy" thing to do. I also incorporate lots of vegetables and legumes into our diet. I'm getting better at it as I do this more and more. But anyways, my point is that if I'm just now learning how to eat healthy at 29 years old, then the "clean your plate" mentality did nothing for me as far as healthy eating goes. Just something to consider.

Some food for thought. Okay - I just HAD to throw in the bad pun!

2 comments:

stephanie said...

It sounds like you're doing a great job! Thanks for the compliment on Ainsleigh. She cracks us up! I'm starting to feel bad for not sending her to preschool because she needs so much constant activity but I'm so glad to have one more year with her at home, and this year she will be a big sister again and she can't wait to be a big helper.

I love your ideas! I'm a sewer and a knitter too! My only problem is too many baby ideas to create and a bad back preventing me from making all that I want too! I can't wait to go through all this again with this new baby! I bf'd Ainsleigh until she was 13 months while working full time and commuting 2 hours a day (lots of pumping, blech), but Addie couldn't do it. I'm hoping things workout with this baby and maybe we can stick it out longer and get her to sleep through the night faster. I can't believe how excited I am to breastfeed! Weird! You're picnic sounded so nice. Great blogging!

Amanda said...

LOL. Maybe I shouldn't share this, because I don't want to discourage you, but each of my boys went through a picky preschooler stage to some extent -- after being willing to try EVERYTHING at age 1. You just have to keep being creative, and know "this too shall pass." My oldest refused to eat eggs or cheese for three years. Now he eats the eggs from our own chickens almost every day, and loves parmesan. :)